These fish burgers are a great way to sneak some fish into your diet and a good way to use up leftover fish too!
- 1 lb fillet of tilapia
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs*
- 1 egg, beaten
*Note: "Panko" is a brand of bread crumbs. I like them because they don't have a lot of added ingredients! They can be found in natural food grocery stores.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and add fish. Season with pepper to taste. Bake until flaky, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove fish from oven. Leave oven on.
- In a food processor, puree garbanzo beans, parsley, and bread crumbs. Process for 1 minute.
- Place bean mixture into a large bowl with the egg; crumble in fish.
- Gently mix with your hands until fish is mixed in, then form into 8 small patties.
- Coat an ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and put over medium heat. Add burgers. Cook until brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip cakes carefully and place in oven for 5 minutes.
Makes 8 burgers.
Per burger: 110 calories, 14 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams total fat, 130 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
Substitutions: Use different types of fish (ex: salmon) and different types of beans (ex: black beans, white cannellini beans, etc.)
- Serve on a rice cake (in place of a bun).
- Serve leftover fish burgers cold, crumbled, on top of salad greens.
- Crumble and serve stuffed in a cored tomato. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- If you tolerate bread: Serve on 1/2 toasted whole wheat bun.
More Weight Loss Surgery Recipes
Leave Fish Burger Recipe and Return to Lap Band Surgery Site Home Page.
Recipe adapted from wellsphere.com