Pecan Crusted Chicken
This easy pecan crusted chicken recipe coats tender chicken breasts with spicy chipotle and orange flavored pecans. Can you say YUM?
Serve with a spinach salad. Leftovers can be used to make quick chicken salad (chop up chicken and mix with plan nonfat yogurt) or yummy lettuce wraps.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, (see Note)
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.
- Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg-white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil.
- Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings. Per serving:
281 calories; 15 g fat ( 2 g sat , 8 g mono ) 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Recipe from eatingwell.com
More Bariatric Recipes
Leave Pecan Crusted Chicken and Return to Lap-Band Surgery Site Home.