Bariatric Recipes of the Week:
Tofu an excellent source of protein and is very versatile.
This tofu bacon recipe is served for breakfast (and sometimes on the salad bar at lunch) at the Canyon Ranch Health Resort in Tucson, AZ.
In this creative recipe, the tofu is marinated in a sweet and salty broth with a hint of liquid smoke to mimic the flavor of bacon.
- 1/2 pound extra firm organic tofu, about a 1x4-inch block
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash liquid smoke
- Cut tofu block into 1/8-inch slices.
- In a shallow glass baking pan, combine brown sugar, tamari, water, pepper and liquid smoke. Mix well. Add tofu slices and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Lay tofu slices on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy on top.
- Turn and bake 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Serve 3 slices.
Makes 4 servings, each containing approximately:
65 calories, 2 gm. carbohydrate, 7 gm. protein, 4 gm. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 151 mg. sodium, Trace fiber
Use this tofu “bacon" as part of a "TLT" Sandwich (TOFU, lettuce, tomato sandwich...if you can get a bread down). You'll also find it delicious with eggs in the morning, sprinkled on a salad, or crumbled over a sweet potato stuffed with plain nonfat Greek yogurt too. Use it anywhere you might use a bit of bacon!
And if you don't tell anyone...
...they'll never know it's TOFU!More Bariatric RecipesLap-Band Bariatric Surgery Overview
Recipe from Canyon Ranch
Leave Tofu Bacon and Return to Lap-Band Surgery Site's Home.